While it’s true April showers bring the promise of beautiful May flowers, the often rainy Spring weather we “enjoy” in April can also create treacherous driving conditions.
According to the Federal Highway Administration, there are more than 1.2 million weather-related vehicle crashes every year. The overwhelming majority of those crashes occur on wet pavement (73%) or when it is raining (46%).
Here are six tips to help you enjoy safe driving during the wet Spring months ahead:
- Anticipate Gusts – When gusty winds start to crop up, do your best to anticipate and counteract the wind gusts (particularly if you’re in a larger vehicle). Do this by having total control of the wheel and noticing patterns in the wind’s behavior.
- Notice Large Vehicles – Like we mentioned, larger vehicles can be particularly susceptible to the wind’s volatility. Keep your eyes on them, as they may potentially swerve into your lane unintentionally due to unanticipated wind gusts.
- Grip the Wheel – Make sure to keep a steady, stable grip on the wheel. Grip tightly to keep the car under control, but don’t unintentionally swerve by gripping too tightly.
- Take Your Time – The best thing to do when road conditions are wet or windy is to take your speed own. Slowing down will help you from getting taken by surprise by any wind or hydroplaning that might occur.
- Turn Your Lights On – If your vehicle doesn’t have automatic rain or fog lights, it’s critical that you switch your headlights on in inclement weather. This insures that you have the visibility necessary and that other vehicles can see you too.
- Give Space – Keeping a six to ten second distance between you and the vehicle in front of you will keep you safe if wet roads or frozen/thawing roads cause hydroplaning or sliding.
If you are dealing with a car accident, let us help! Call Jacobson, Schrinsky & Houck in Milwaukee today at (414) 223-4444 to have one of our caring lawyers come out to meet you.
Car Accident Attorneys – Jacobson, Schrinsky & Houck – Experience – Compassion – Results