During the holiday shopping season, parking lots can be a challenge to deal with no matter what time of day. In our rush to get out and back home or to find that perfect spot at a favorite store or the mall, parking lot accidents can happen.
Here are 5 common types of parking lot accidents and what to watch out for.
- A driver backs out of a space, into an oncoming car – Because both vehicles are moving, each driver may hold some responsibility, but the driver backing out is likely to be deemed primarily at fault in this parking lot accident.
- Two cars vying for the same space collide – While rushing to get a parking space, one car collides with another. Both vehicles were moving, so both drivers have responsibility. The driver turning left into the parking space is likely the majority at fault in this accident.
- Two drivers back up into each other – Both cars are moving, so both drivers are responsible for that movement. Neither driver has the right of way. Each is responsible for checking to be sure it is safe to back up before doing so. It is likely both drivers will share fault for the accident.
- A driver pulls forward out of a space, into the lane of traffic – Both cars are moving so both drivers are responsible. In a parking lot, drivers in the traffic lane have the right of way, so the driver who pulled out of the space is likely the majority at fault in the accident.
- A car rear-ends another at a stop sign – In this case, only one vehicle is moving. The moving vehicle is generally at fault in this type of accident, whether it occurs in a parking lot or on the roadway. Even if the car in front stops suddenly at a stop sign, the driver in the second car is likely to be at fault.
If you were involved in a parking lot car accident, let us help! Call Jacobson, Schrinsky & Houck in Milwaukee today at (414) 223-4444 to have one of our caring lawyers come out to meet you. Get car accident help today!
Car Accident Attorneys – Jacobson, Schrinsky & Houck – Experience – Compassion – Results